Monday, November 23, 2009

Should it Blend?


I need some advice. I thought I knew what I wanted for Christmas, but now I'm wondering: is it really worth it?
Imagine this: I'm walking innocently through our local Costco, not really planning on buying anything else, but enjoying the samples. I stopped in front of the Blendtec display, hoping for a taste of smoothie. Only, this time I listened to the presenter. Those blenders are pretty awesome. I watched that blender turn bananas with the peel and strawberries with the stems and seeds into smooth, delicious smoothies. I saw that blender turn raw carrots, onion, pepper, and tomato into a creamy hot soup. Yum! Wow! So easy! I want it!
They are about $400. After the presentation, I knew I wanted it. It wasn't until later I started to doubt. Sigh. I probably wouldn't believe it worked if it only cost $20. I love soup, and I love smoothies, and I think it would be great to be able to make my own baby food (when the time comes, that is), but is it really worth that much money for a blender? Would I really get my money's worth out of it? I have a blender that I rarely use; but, I rarely use it because it's a pain to clean and it doesn't crush the ice. The Blendtec is easy to clean and can crush just about anything. And it comes with its own recipe book.
It's funny how now that I'm the one making the money it's hard to ask for expensive things. Even if it counts as both a Christmas and a birthday present. Watch the video (or, if you're super brave, the live presentation) and let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. if it is something you KNOW you will use for the rest of your life, it is probably worth the investment. but if you buy it and it sits in your cupboard, think how bad that would suck :0) think about realistically how often you would use it and then you will be able to tell if you should get it. some things are worth spending the money on if you really get your use out of them!! hope you are well! miss you!! Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, thank you for the advice. I gave it a lot of thought, and we ended up buying it. I think we'll get a lot of use out of it.

    ReplyDelete