Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Home, Sweet Home

So, the wait is finally over! We closed on our condo a little over a week ago and have spent most of our time moving in the interim between now and then. First, I have to say that more than anything I hate moving. I've moved a lot in the last 10 years of my life. I know a lot about living out of your suitcase from my mission and never spent much more than a year at any given apartment during my 5 years of college. I'm at a point in life where I can't really pack everything I own into a small car and cross town to simply plop it down in whatever habitation I've been assigned. I have furniture and clothing and books (10+ boxes of them) and dishes and games and computers and who knows what other stuff laying around to try to travel from A to B with. It's quite comforting to know that now I don't have to move again for a long, long time. Now, we just have to unpack.

The nice thing about all of this, though, is that we're simply not renting anymore. The place we bought costs us just as much as we used to pay rent, but now that money isn't sucked up into the ether. It's (somewhat) staying in our pocket. Our interest rate isn't half bad, either! We bought the place at what seems to be the best possible time, especially if the economy turns around as expected. It's ours! That's the best part. It's our home, sweet home.

In other news, I'm bald. Well, less so now than a few days ago. Now it's more like being fuzzy than bald. I just hope that my hair looks alright by the time my brother gets married next month. Otherwise, I might just have to cut it all off again in an attempt to not look like I'm halfway between shaving my head and growing it back to full length (which is exactly what will be happening).

Why did I shave my head, you ask? Well, sometimes sacrifices must be made in order to have a legitimately cool Halloween costume. Mine this year was Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. He's got some crazy bald spots goin' on, so I had Lovetta shave my head down to look like I was balding. Well, naturally after Halloween was over, I didn't want to look like a 40 year-old man (even if he is a bajillionaire). So, I shaved it all off. Completely. It's starting to grow back. But, I apparently shock people with the lack of hair on my head. One of my co-workers keeps making "cancer patient" comments every time he sees me. Maybe in a few days, he'll be able to look me in the eyes again. We'll see.

Anyway, pictures will come later, either in this post or in another one.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the condo!! That is awesome news and I bet it will be fabulous to really settle into your first home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you guys are, like, real grown-ups. That's pretty awesome. I really look forward to seeing the pictures, especially of Tom bald, but of the new condo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with katy--you guys are old, old, old grown-ups. Tom, the halloween "haircut" was probably just a cover up. Old people go bald. Lovetta, I'm super excited to see pictures as you make your condo a home over the next year! COngrats guys.

    ReplyDelete