Monday, October 12, 2009

A Perfectly Good Waste of Time


So, I'm going to write about this since Lovetta seems to ashamed to mention it in public (note: I have no shame in this matter). Before we moved into our new apartment, some friends of ours told us about their latest adventure into internet and movie entertainment. Netflix. It's a magical land of DVDs and Streaming TV, ready for your viewing pleasure at a simple $8.99/mo. We wanted in, and boy has it been wonderful.

Besides hitting a few bumps in some of our movie selections, we've been able to catch up on quite a few films that we've wanted to see in the last while. But, most importantly, we've started catching up on new (to us) and favorite TV shows that we'd been missing out on. All of this really started about a month ago when I convinced Lovetta that we should start watching the first season of Heroes that she'd been wanting to see.

Picture this. We'd just had a wonderful date night on a Friday evening filled with Maglby's and Mario Kart Wii. It's now about 10:30 at night and I'm thinking it's just about time for bed. We brush our teeth, while I sit down at the computer. Hmmm, I think to myself, this episode is only 42 minutes long. We'll still be in bed by 11:30 no problem. Not a big deal. Four hours later, we decide that it's probably a good idea to get some sleep. This was only the beginning.

Over the course of the last month, we've gone through two and a half seasons of Heroes, almost a full season of The Office, two and a half seasons of 30 Rock (that one was just me), a few episodes of Dr. Who, and quite a few movies. Next up on our playlist, for those of you who are curious, is Lovetta's chance to get me to watch Bride and Prejudice. Those of you who have seen this will probably laugh, for better or for worse. My judgement has yet to be passed.

Now, back to the "shame" issue. Lovetta has a hard time with the idea of watching 4 episodes in one day of whatever TV-show-crack we happen to be watching at any given moment. I do not. Maybe it's the difference in upbringing. She had no TV growing up; I had my fair share. Part of the reason I have no problem with it is because I know that she needs to learn to relax a little bit. She's spent too much time in her life living for school, she's forgotten how to enjoy wasting time. Label this what you will (obsessive, lazy, unproductive, unhealthy, pathetic, awesome), I know that it's for the greater good in the end. Besides, after a certain point, we'll get all caught up with these shows and have to watch them week-by-week like normal people do.

3 comments:

  1. Yah, tell me about it. Don't bother watching "Knowing". It's two and half hours you can never get back. We know what it's like watching TV shows season by season. MI-5 is our candy. If you still keep wondering why there is a difference between the way you two think about this issue, here is your 10 minute marriage therapy for free:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuMZ73mT5zM

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah! i am so glad you have a blog and now i can keep up with you!! i haven't seen or talked to you forever! how is life?? how is school?? i want to hear it all! here is my blog www.gillmanfive.blogspot.com. lets do better about keeping in touch and we need to get together with krystal and leslie to have lunch before krystal gets married!!
    luvya! MEG

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROFL - that link, Tania, is awesome. I love it.

    We're so nuts over tv and Netflix. Our recent find is Sanctuary. We're total Heros junkies, too!

    ReplyDelete